Last weekend was easter and that means a 4 day weekend in Germany. On Saturday we had an Osterfeuer. Just like last year, we burned all the brush we collected in the garden. We invited a few friends and neighbours over and had Kaffee & Kuchen. Werner and I burned stuff.
The Neubau and Altbau are joined together in such a way that there is a height difference between the floors. This leads to an interesting stair situation that requires a creative solution. Loyal readers will recall that I built a short set of stairs not too long ago, thereby eliminating one set that needed to be built and saving some money at the same time. Yeah! However, we still have 4 short sets of stairs and 1 long set of stairs that need to be built. Boo!
Not too exciting this weekend. Did some drywalling on a ceiling and filled some gaps between masonry work with expanding foam. If you are working with expanding foam, wear gloves, protective clothing, a hat and goggles. Don’t do what I did, which is just wear gloves. If to gets on your arms, in your hair or in your beard, it will hurt trying to get it out. And it might bleed a bit.
On the rear of the original house there was a stained-glass window. We’re not exactly sure who made it, but it was built by hand many years ago by an apprentice blacksmith for his Gesellenstück, or journeyman‘s piece. After all these years of various rambunctious tenants and being exposed to the elements it is still in pretty good condition.
Here’s what it looked like in 2005. Continue reading